Trainorama 48 Class DCC Sound Installation with Lighting Modification
Now available with our NEW Remastered
ESU LokSound 5 Custom Sound Project
with the "Full Throttle - Drive Hold" feature.
About the NSWGR 48 Class Locomotive
The 48 Class diesel electric locomotives were built by A.E Goodwin, Auburn for the NSW Government Railways in four production batches (or mark versions) between September 1959 and October 1970. They were built under the ALCO DL531 model with the largest number of 165 units built for NSW, 44 units built for the South Australian Government Railways 830 Class which operated services throughout SA on the narrow, standard and broad gauge lines. A further 3 narrow gauge examples were purchased by Silverton Rail for use on the Silverton Tramway Line around Broken Hill.
There were four versions built for the NSWGR were:
- Mark 1: 4801 – 4845 (September. 1959 to March 1962)
- Mark 2: 4846 – 4885 (June 1964 to September 1965)
- Mark 3: 4886 - 48125 (March 1966 to July 1968)
- Mark 4: 48126 – 48165 (January 1969 to October 1970)
The NSWGR 48 Class was ordered to commence the conversion of branch lines to dieselisation and to see if branch line operating costs could be reduced. They became an immediate success and by the early 1960's the heaviest trains in NSW were being hauled by multiply 48 class locomotives. They later went on to become the backbone to the NSW Fleet.
As well as branch lines they operated both mainline and metropolitan services and were seen on every line in the state. Aside from a couple written off after accidents in the mid-1980s, withdrawals didn't commence until August 1994. Others have been withdrawn since and as at January 2014, 66 units still remained in service as an extremely simple and reliable locomotive capable of performing any duty. Of the other 99 units, 7 have been preserved, 29 stored, 63 scrapped.
DCC with Sound and Light Modifications
In January 2015, Trainorama released their first batch of 48 Class Locomotives which includes an 8 Pin socket for fitting a DCC decoder plus 2 Pin socket for wiring the factory installed speaker. There are two micro switches under the model on both sides of the fuel tank for turning the lights on/off in DC when running them in a consist. In DCC all lights operate directional. In November 2015, Trainorama released their second batch of four more 48 Class locomotives.
For this installation we recommend the ESU LokSound 5 (Sound) with our Custom Sound Project for the 48 Class or the LokPilot V4.0 (No Sound) for those not wishing sound. We can supply the decoders only for the DIY installers.
We have tweaked the motor control of the ESU decoder to provide super slow smooth speeds at steps 1-8 of 128 (Speed step 1 of 28) which is perfect for shunting operations allowing the loco to move ever so slowly towards its rolling stock. Also, for those wanting the locomotive to move off slowly and build up speed like the prototype. You will be impressed with the smooth slow speed motor control.
We offer a light modification for this 48 Class to separate the lights for a more prototypical operation.
We are able to modify both the first and second release of 48 Class locomotives even though the light boards in the second release were slightly different from the first release. In doing so we can offer up to 8 individual light functions for greater flexibility when operating your NSW 48 Class model.
1) Front Headlight, Number Boards, White Markers and Rear Red Markers on/off when travelling forward with the headlight button.
2) Rear Headlight,Number Boards, White Markers and Front Red Markers on/off when travelling in reverse with the headlight button.
DCC Solutions Lighting
For an upgrade to 6 Function Standard Light Modification we can separate the lights as follows:
1) Front Headlight/Numberboards - on/off directionally with the headlight button
2) Rear Headlight/Numberboards - on/off directionally with the headlight button
3) Front White Markers - on/off with 1 function
4) Front Red Markers - on/off with 1 function
5) Rear White Markers - on/off with 1 function
6) Rear Red Markers - on/off with 1 function
For an upgrade to 8 Function Ultimate Light Modification we can additional separate the lights as follows:
7) Front Number Boards - on/off with 1 function
8) Rear Number Boards - on/off with 1 function
Just imagine having your 48 Class Locomotive sitting in a yard or siding with just the Number Boards switched on or even just the front and rear red markers as per NSW rail practice.
With our light modifications you can operate the lights on your model locomotive just like the real thing!
The DCC Solutions NSW 48 Class Custom Sound Project
is packed with sounds and features not found on other sound decoders especially factory fitted sound.
Factory Fitted Sound only offers you the very basic sound for your model
So why not get fully featured sound from DCC Solutions
Our Custom Sound Project now includes these fantastic features:
Full Throttle – Drive Hold
This feature allows you to simulate a loaded or empty train by pressing the F1 function button. When the button is pressed, the motor will remain at a constant speed, while the sound can be controlled independently by adjusting the speed on the throttle. This exciting, new feature gives the operator the ability to have the train crawl in notch 8 or coast at 100 km/h. Release the Drive Hold function button and you simply go back to throttle-controlled speed and motion. Available only from DCC Solutions, our Drive Hold will stop your loco when you reduce the speed to zero even while the function is still active. Your ESU factory fitted sound will not stop your loco at speed step 0 or by trying to use the brake with the drive hold on. So watch out you don't crash your loco.
Coasting On Demand
This feature allows you to enter coasting mode whenever you want with a press of a button. Often when coming to a stop, the throttle of a real locomotive is put into Idle and the locomotive coasts to a stop. Another situation that occurs is that once a train is up to speed when operating over
rolling countryside, the driver can coast to maintain a certain speed. By pressing the coast function button, the sound drops into coasting and remains there. Using the throttle speed control, you can now speed up or slow down the train with the sound remaining in coasting mode.
Press the function button to exit coasting and the sound will exit and return to whatever speed is set when exiting.
Press the Brake Function button and your locomotive will come to a stop at a much shorter distance than if you were to bring it to a stop by reducing the throttle speed. Release the brake and your locomotive will move off again or choose to have it remain stationary when the brake is released.
Dynamic Brake Logic
There are no Dynamic Brakes on a 48 Class Locomotive, however we have included Dynamic Brake Logic in this sound project to allow your 48 Class loco to run in a trailing consist with other locos that may have Dynamic Brakes.
Random Start-up Sequences with Move Off and Stopping Sounds
Now with random start-up sequences including hot or cold engine starts your start up and shut down will not always sound the same.
As your locomotive begins to move off you will hear the sounds of brakes releasing with random speed activated wheel squeal, rail noises and other sounds. Some of these sounds are random or speed sensitive that will turn on/off automatically depending on your take off speed. When the locomotive comes to a stop you will hear the squeal of the brakes, air releases and then the compressor will cut in automatically to fill the reservoirs with air until full and will cut out.
Coupling and Release with Shunting Mode
Activate coupling or release and your loco will automatically reduce its speed to allow for a more realistic coupling or release operation. Once the operation is completed your loco will continue to run at slow speed for a few more seconds before returning to the speed set on your throttle.
For those who really want to drive their train and manually control the notching rather than letting the decoder do it.
Remastered Horn Sounds
New remastered playable and short blast horn including NSWGR WABCo A/B Series, RVB Hurricane 3 Chime, RVB Hurricane 5 Chime and Twin RVB Hurricane 5 Chime available to suit your specific model.
While the factory fitted sound will only offer you 1-2 random sound, DCC Solutions will have up to 12 random sounds that will play when either the loco is stopping or moving as we have been doing for years in all our Custom Sound Projects.
And includes all these great features to make your Trainorama 48 Class drive and sound impressive
- ALCO 6-251B Turbo Prime Mover
- 48 Class Short Blast and Playable Horn. NSWGR WABCo Pneuphonic type A/B or NSWGR RVB Hurricane 5 chime
- Additional Horns: NSWGR RVB Hurricane 3 chime, NSWGR Twin RVB Hurricane 5 chime
- Random Start-up sequences including Automatic Hot or Cold Engine Start.
- Air and Brake Release Sounds when loco moves off and stops including Brake Squeal.
- When the loco stops after braking the compressor cuts in to fill the reservoir and will turn off when the tanks are full.
- Speed sensitive Wheel Squeal and Rail Noise when the loco moves off.
- Full Throttle Drive Hold - Lock the loco speed and control the sound independently to simulate a heavy loaded or empty train
- Coasting On Demand
- Working Brake Function
- Brake squeal on deceleration and turns off on acceleration.
- Manual Notching - manually control the notching rather than letting the decoder do it
- Dynamic Brake Logic to allow your 48 Class loco to run in a trailing consist with other locos that may have Dynamic Brakes.
- Directional Coupling and Release with brake line release plus auto active shunting mode to reduce the speed of the loco for shunting
- Stop & Drive Random Sounds including fans, compressor, rail noise, track wheel squeal, air releases and more!
- Wheel Squeal
- Guard's Whistle
- Modified Lighting Options for more prototypical light operation.
- Low beam/High beam Headlights
- And more (See below for full list)
- Play 10 different sounds simultaneously
- Motor settings and sound volumes tuned to specifically suit the Trainorama 48 Class Locomotive Model.
- Individual sounds slots and master sound volumes can be adjusted by the user to suit personal requirements.
- Full function button remapping to suit your personal requirements.
- This Sound Project is also suitable for other brands of 48 Class Models.
- DCC Solutions High Performance Speaker delivering impressive sound when compared to the factory speaker.
INSTALLATION AND MODIFICATION FEATURES
Standard DCC Installation: Non-sound decoder with no lighting modifications.
Standard Sound Installation: Alternate brand of sound decoder with factory generic sound. No lighting modifications.
Premium Sound Installation: ESU LokSound 5 sound decoder with our Custom ALCO 6-251B Sound Project. No lighting modifications.
Premium Sound Installation and Light Modification: Upgrade to 6 Function lighting outputs with the DCC Solutions Light Modification to separate some lighting to have individual function control on your DCC controller plus our Custom ALCO 6-251B Sound Project which includes an additional upgraded high performance speaker to enhance the sounds of your Trainorama 48 Class Locomotive.
Premium Sound Installation and Ultimate Light Modification: Upgrade to 8 Function lighting outputs with the DCC Solutions Ultimate Light Modification to separate Front and Rear Headlights, Front and Rear White Markers, Front and Rear Red Markers and Front and Rear Number Boards to have individual function control on your DCC controller plus our Custom ALCO 6-251B Sound Project which includes an additional upgraded high performance speaker to enhance the sounds of your Trainorama 48 Class Locomotive.
Here is the selection of sound and function labels using the ESU LokSound 5 sound decoder with 8 Function Lighting Outputs.
SOUND and OUTPUT FUNCTION LABELS
Premium Sound Installation and Light Modification
0 (HEADLIGHT) Directional Headlights
1 Full Throttle Drive Hold
2 (HORN) Horn
3 Headlight High Beam
4 Dynamic Brake Logic
5 Coasting On Demand
7 Brake Squeal on Deceleration
8 Start Up/Shut Down/Mute
9 Front White Markers
10 Rear Red Markers
11 Rear White Markers
12 Front Red Markers
13 Directional Marker Lights
17 Coupling /Uncoupling + Shunting Mode
18 Wheel Squeal
19 Guard's Whistle
20 Sanding Valve
21 Volume Fader - Reduces Sound 50%
22 Front Headlight
23 Numberboard Switch_Front-Rear-Both
24 Spitter Valves
25 Manual Notching
26 Notch Up / Short Air Release
27 Notch Down / Cab Door
28 Rail Clank
Note: The above functions are for the ESU LokSound 5 Decoder programmed with DCC Solutions Premium Custom Sound Installation with Light Modifications
To learn how to use these functions see the Info & Help page.
All functions can be reprogrammed to suit your own personal requirements.
ESU LokSound 5 Sound Decoder programmed with DCC Solutions Custom 48 Class Sound Project
ESU LokPilot V4.0 (Non Sound Decoder)
Alternative brands of Sound and Non Sound Decoders of your choice.
DCC Solutions upgraded 6 or 8 Function Light Modifications
Supply only Decoders and Speakers for DIY Installations