Auscision A Class DCC Sound Installation
with Lighting Modifications
Now available with a NEW Remastered
Custom Sound Project including the
"Full Throttle - Drive Hold" feature.
About the A Class
The A class were rebuilt from B class locomotives originally constructed in the 1950's, as part of the New Deal reforms of passenger rail operations in Victoria. The rebuild contract was given in January 1983 to Clyde Engineering, Rosewater with the first locomotive entering service in May 1984, but the project was abandoned in mid 1985 after rising costs due to structural fatigue, with the 11th and final rebuild delivered in August 1985. It was decided to instead build more of the N class locomotives, mechanically similar to the A class.
In preparation for the privatisation of V/Line, four were allocated to passenger services and seven to freight services. V/Line withdrew their fleet with A60 operating the final service on 24 April 2013. V/Line later subsequently returned A66 and A70 to service, with the latter since withdrawn. Pacific National withdrew its last examples in May 2014.
DCC with Sound and Light Modifications
In August 2009, Auscision released the A Class locomotive which included an 8 Pin socket for easily fitting a DCC decoder but not provision for a speaker in the chassis. In DC/DCC all lights operate directional.
A Second Release Expected Late April/Early May 2017 which includes a 21 Pin socket for DCC.
We offer a light modification for Auscision's A Class to separate the lights for a more prototypical operation.
We can separate the front headlight, white markers and red marker lights for a more prototypical operational practices in DCC. Both the white and red marker lights at the front and rear can be controlled individually or directionally as well as the front and rear headlights. That allows for no rear red marker lights to be on when the loco is carrying a load behind it or you can even run with just the front white markers switched on. You can control what lights you want switched on depending on how you are running your A Class Locomotive.
Although not exactly prototypical to the Victorian lighting practices, it does offer better options than the factory lighting.
You can also still operate all the lights directional as the way the model was delivered.
For a Standard Light Modification we can separate the lights as follows:
1) Headlights - directional with 1 function
2) Marker Lights - directional with 1 function
3) Front Headlight - on/off with 1 function
4) Front White Markers - on/off with 1 function
5) Front Red Markers - on/off with 1 function
6) Rear White Markers - on/off with 1 function
7) Rear Red Markers - on/off with 1 function
For this installation we recommend the ESU LokSound V4.0 (Sound) programmed with the DCC Solutions Custom Sound Project to provide the most realistic sound for the A Class or the LokPilot V4.0 (No Sound) for those not wishing sound. Alternatively you may wish to choose the ESU Select Sound Decoder programmed with the ESU factory generic sound. We offer several different options of DCC installations using various brands of sound decoders for this model to suit all budgets and can supply the decoders/speaker only for the DIY installers.
The DCC Solutions VR A Class Custom Sound Project - EMD 12-645E3
Our Custom Sound Project now includes these new features:
Full Throttle – Drive Hold
This feature allows you to simulate a loaded or empty train by pressing the F1 function button. When the button is pressed, the motor will remain at a constant speed, while the sound can be controlled independently by adjusting the speed on the throttle. This exciting, new feature gives the operator the ability to have the train crawl in notch 8 or coast at 100 km/h. Release the Drive Hold function button and you simply go back to throttle-controlled speed and motion.
Coasting on Demand
Pressing F5 will activate coasting on demand to suit your running environment allowing variable speed coasting so changes in speed will not turn it off until you turn it off.
Press the Brake Function button and your locomotive will come to a stop at a much shorter distance than if you were to bring it to a stop by reducing the throttle speed. Release the brake and your locomotive will move off again or choose to have it remain stationary when the brake is released.
Move Off and Stopping Sounds
When your locomotive begins to move you will hear the sounds of brakes releasing plus some random sounds programmed into our Custom Sound Project that are activated with the moving off and stopping of the locomotive to add to the realism.
Remastered Horn Sounds
A new remastered Leslie SuperTyfon RS-5T playable and short blast horn
And includes all these great features to make your Auscision A Class drive and sound impressive.
- Remastered EMD 12-645E3 Prime Mover Sound
- Automatic Hot or Cold Engine Start
- Leslie SuperTyfon RS-5T Long and Short Blast Horn
- Brake Release Sounds when the locomotive moves off.
- Random Stopping Sounds including Brake Squeal.
- When the loco stops after braking the compressor cuts in to fill the reservoir and will turn off when the tanks are full.
- Speed sensitive Wheel Squeal and Rail Noise when the loco moves off.
- Full Throttle Drive Hold - Lock the loco speed and control the sound independently to simulate a heavy loaded or empty train
- Proper Working Dynamic Brakes: When engaged the prime mover winds down to idle as the Dynamic Brake Fan runs and the engine brakes faster due to Dynamic Brake motor logic of the ESU decoder. Disengage and the prime mover will shift back to its prior notch and continues along.
- Coasting On Demand
- Working Brake to bring your locomotive to a stop
- Coupling and Release with brake line release
- Stop & Drive Random Sounds including fans, compressor, rail noise, track wheel squeal, air releases
- Manual Ratchet Handbrake
- Modified Lighting Option for more prototypical light operation.
- Low beam to High beam Headlight operation
- And more (See below for full list)
- Motor settings and sound volumes tuned to specifically suit the Auscision A Class Locomotive Model.
- Individual master sound volumes can be adjusted by the user to suit personal requirements.
- Full function button remapping to suit your personal requirements.
- This Sound Project is also suitable for other brands of A Class Models.
INSTALLATION AND MODIFICATION FEATURES
Standard DCC Installation: Non sound decoder with no lighting modifications.
Standard Sound Installation: ESU SELECT sound decoder with ESU factory sound file.
Premium Sound Installation: ESU V4.0 sound decoder with our custom A Class Prime Mover sound project. No lighting modifications.
Premium Sound Installation and Light Modification: Upgraded to 6 Function lighting outputs with the DCC Solutions Light Modification and our custom A Class Prime Mover sound project that allows you individual control of the front/rear white markers, front/rear red markers, front and rear headlights using the function buttons on your DCC throttle.
Here is the selection of sound and function labels using the ESU V4.0 Sound Decoder
SOUND and OUTPUT FUNCTION LABELS
Premium Sound Installation and Light Modifications
with ESU Full Throttle Drive Hold Feature
0 (HEADLIGHT) Directional Headlights
1 Full Throttle Drive Hold
2 (HORN) Leslie SuperTyfon RS-5T Playable Horn
3 Leslie SuperTyfon RS-5T Short Blast Horn
4 Dynamic Brakes
5 Coasting on Demand
7 Shunting Mode/Reduces Speed 50%
8 Prime Mover Cold/Hot Start Up/Shut Down
9 Front White Markers
10 Rear Red Markers
11 Rear White Markers
12 Front Red Markers
13 Directional Markers Lights
14 Coupling (Reverse) /Uncoupling (Forward) [CV48]
17 Manual Handbrake Ratchet
18 Wheel Flange Squeal
19 Guard's Whistle
20 Volume Control (+/-) Double Key Press
21 Volume Fader - Reduces Sound 50%
22 High Beam Headlight
23 Cab Door Open/Close
24 Sanding Valve
25 Spitter Valves
26 Short Air Release
27 Front Headlight On/Off
28 Disable Move Off and Stopping Sounds
Note: The above functions are for the LokSound V4.0 Decoder programmed with DCC Solutions Custom Victorian A Class Sound Project.
The functions and sounds will be different for the LokSound Select and other brand sound decoders.
To learn how to use these functions see the Info & Help page. All functions can be reprogrammed to suit your own personal requirements.
ESU LokSound V4.0 Sound Decoder programmed with DCC Solutions Custom Victorian A Class Sound Project
ESU LokSound Select Sound Decoder programmed with ESU generic sound file
ESU LokPilot V4.0 (Non Sound Decoder)
Alternate Brand (Soundtraxx, TCS) Sound or non Sound Decoders
Supply only Decoder and Speaker for DIY Installations